We are excited to announce that we are currently accepting submissions for the Mary Ryan Memorial Essay Contest, in honor of the annual Veteran’s Day celebration in Media, PA. In organizing this contest, we hope that students in Delaware County will learn more about US war history, veterans and how they help preserve our freedom.
We also hope to demonstrate to our veterans that our students are indeed grateful for their service, and to provide our youth with a way to say thank you to our veterans for dedicating their lives to protecting our country.
Who is Eligible?
The essay contest is open to all Delaware County students in grades 6 through 8 enrolled in public,
private, parochial or home school. A first, second, and third-place winner will be chosen for the contest, each one winning a cash prize and certificate. The winners will be asked to read his/her winning essay during the 2018 Veterans Day Parade and Ceremony in front of the Delaware County Courthouse in Media, PA.
The focus of the Parade this year is on the 100th Anniversary of World War I. The essay contest
itself will focus on the bravery of and sacrifices made by U.S. veterans of WWI and what we owe
them for all that they’ve done and have gone through.
Official Rules & Guidelines
Essays will be read by a panel and judged according to adherence to the theme/question, creativity
and basic conventions of writing.
During the research phase, students are strongly encouraged to interview a veteran or visit our gallery of video interviews of local veterans.
- Essays should be a maximum of 300 words, researched through veteran interviews,
publications, books, internet or classroom studies.
- Essays must be typed on 8 ½ by 11-inch paper with a separate cover sheet indicating the
student’s name, grade, phone number, email address, school and teacher’s name.
- One entry per student.
- Submission deadline is November 4, 2019, by 4:00 pm.
- All entries become the property of the U.S. Veterans Legacy Project.
- There will be a first, second and third place winner, with each receiving a cash prize. The
winners will be asked to read his/her essay during the 2016 Veterans Day Parade and
Ceremony on Monday, November 11 in Media, PA.
- All submissions must be emailed to the attention of Mrs. Adriene Irving.
- The Mary Ryan Memorial Essay Contest is open to all public, private, parochial and homeschooled middle school students (grades 6-8) who reside in or attend schools in Delaware
County. Delaware County students who attend schools in other counties are also welcome
to enter this contest.
- Judging will be completed, and winners notified by November 6, 2019.